Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Fast Cars & Freedom

One of the hardest parts of living in New York is not having the ability to drive places. I mean, people do drive, but it ends up looking like this:

Yes, that is me. I'm telling you, driving in the city turns you into a madman. 10 out of 10 would not recommend. Was most of my time spent with my foot on the break? Definitely. Did I almost hit a few cars? Yeah. Were a couple of pedestrians lives at stake? Possibly.

In New York we have an expansive subway and bus system that allows us to get all over the city. I'm sure you're thinking to yourself "it would be nice to be able to get places without having to put in the effort that driving requires."

To that I would say "you're wrong."

Trains are constantly running late or making more stops than you expected. Sometimes the train skips your stop for no apparent reason, and occasionally the subway tracks catch on fire.

Driving is a symbol of freedom. Being able to drive means that you can go anywhere, anytime you want. It allows you to be completely free and in total control.

Plus, who doesn't love a good roadtrip?? Being in the car with my friends is honestly where some of my favorite memories come from.



Driving is one of my favorite parts about the south. Every time I'm home, one of the first things I do is get in my mustang, turn on a good radio station, and drive. I don't even need a destination, I just love to be out on the open road, singing (very poorly), even occasionally steering wheel drumming.

When I left the south I had no idea how important driving actually was to me. As I talk to more Southerners of New York I'm realizing that this is just another thing that all of us miss about home.

No comments:

Post a Comment