Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sweet Home Alabama


Earlier this weekend I sat down with Scott White, from Daphne, Alabama, and asked him some questions about being a Southerner of New York.
What is your favorite part of being Southern?
“I like how everyone in the South is nice, and of course the food. I also love the culture surrounding football in the South. Up here no one watches football except for the occasional pro game. I have never seen more people watch hockey than I have in New York. In the South we watch college football. Oh, and Roll Tide Roll.”
 When did you move to NY, and why did you decide to leave the South?
“I moved here almost 2 years ago, and I decided to move because I love the opportunity here. Not necessarily just job opportunities, but you never know what you’re going to see or who you will meet. Everything happens in New York first. You don’t usually hear about huge Broadway premieres happening in Montgomery or Atlanta.”

What do you miss the most about the South?
“Honestly, I miss knowing everybody. I grew up in a very small town, I went to school with the same 29 kids for years. I knew their brothers and sisters and their parents. I also have noticed there are no quiet places in New York. In the South you can go 10 minutes from the main street and it’s silent. People in the South take that for granted, but here silence is a treasured thing.”
Do you think that you will ever move back to the South?
“I think that eventually I will move back because that’s where I was born, it’s where I was raised. That’s where I feel the most comfortable. That’s home.”

3 comments:

  1. I love his comment about the quiet! I hated Waco when I lived there...couldn't wait to get away. Now I realize it was really a "small town" in many respects...and I miss it! Great job Chelsea

    ReplyDelete